Renowned Eye Surgeon, Dr. Stewart Shofner Shares Five Tips to Maximize Funds to Pay for LASIK and Cataract Surgery
Dr. Stewart Shofner of Shofner Vision Center in Nashville, TN stays abreast to changes with the various healthcare savings account plans and reassures patients that LASIK vision correction surgery and cataract surgery can be paid with funds from both Flexible Savings Accounts (FSA) and Healthcare Savings Accounts (HSA) plans, subject to the plan maximum. Dr. Shofner shares five important tips on how to maximize savings for future LASIK and Cataract Vision Correction Surgery.
1) FSA Plans. A Flex Spending Account (FSA) is one option for some employees to save for medical expenses using pre-tax money. Patients that are pre-qualified as a LASIK candidate or have been diagnosed with cataracts can maximize the amount of pre-tax dollars to apply towards surgery in 2015. Enrollment has already begun, so its important to view and complete necessary forms before the specified deadline.
Generally, an employee can contribute up to $2,500 in the plan. This is the maximum for both individuals and families. One way to maximize a family using a FSA plan is for a spouse to also contribute to an FSA plan through their employer.
2) HSA Plans. A Health Savings Account (HSA) is another way for employees to save for medical expenses using pre-tax money. An HSA usually can only be used as part of a high deductible healthcare plan. Individuals can contribute up to $3,350 in an HSA and families up to $6,650. And people over age 55 can contribute another $1,000 to their HSA. Note that with Shofners affordable LASIK, an individual can pay the full cost of Custom 3D LASIK with an HSA plan.
Unlike a FSA, these tax-free dollars roll over from year to year and are owned by the employee, not the company. If an individual underestimates next years medical expenses, a change to increase (Up to maximum amount) the amount deposited is possible during the year. In some cases, a dependent (child up to age 26) can apply HSA funds for their LASIK.
3) Request a Plan. Dont have a FSA or HSA? Ask your employer if a FSA or HSA can be added to a healthcare plan. HSAs may also be available through one of the Affordable Care Acts Insurance Exchanges.
4) CareCredit. CareCredit is the credit card exclusively for healthcare services. CareCredit offers very low monthly payment options for healthcare procedures not commonly covered by insurance, including LASIK and Premium-IOLs. Although patients must meet required qualifications, there are no up-front costs or pre-payment penalties. It is possible to pay for a medical procedure using both an HSA (or FSA) and CareCredit or another credit card.
5) Swap and Save. This tip may sound dated, but simply swapping out a few daily routines could lead to big savings. Swap those daily visits to restaurants and pricey mocha-lattes with more affordable options --- these small changes could produce big savings. According to Forbes, Americans go out for lunch on average twice a week and spend $10 or more. Thats over $1K annually that could be applied towards vision correction procedures.
There are many ways to pay for eye exams, LASIK and other procedures which improve a patient's quality of life by reducing or eliminating their need for glasses or contacts, says Dr. Shofner. Don't let limited funds or a high deductible plan stop you from making sure you have healthy eyes.
About Dr. Stewart Shofner
Recognized by his peers as one of the most outstanding Board Certified Ophthalmologist in the United States, Dr. Stewart Shofner has performed over 30,000 LASIK procedures and 10,000 ocular surgeries and his business continues to grow...mostly from patient referrals.
About Shofner Vision Center
Shofner Vision Center provides comprehensive vision care services including LASIK/PRK vision correction and cataract vision correction surgery. We also provide diagnosis and treatment for vision issues and eye diseases. We utilize the most advanced, proven technology to deliver the best solutions safely and reliably.
Located in the heart of Nashville, Shofner Vision is the only trusted eye center and offers a No Fear No Pressure complimentary exam to determine if LASIK vision correction surgery is appropriate for you. Patients can schedule an appointment online or call 615-340-4733.