The Importance of Managing Diabetes
posted: Dec. 29, 2022.
Diabetes is a serious disease, and one that can dramatically affect the health of your entire body. If you have diabetes, it’s important to seek out the expertise and services of your primary care doctor.
You may not notice any signs or symptoms, and you can still be a borderline diabetic. Diabetes can be damaging to your body, and you may not know it, which is why regular visits to your primary care doctor are so important.
Proper management of diabetes is critical because diabetes can cause:
Immune system changes, which can result in delayed healing and recovery from an illness or injury.
Circulatory system problems, which can result in inadequate blood supply to your organs and extremities. In severe cases, amputations may be required.
Nervous system issues, which can result in painful neuropathy or nerve damage and loss of sensation.
You need to safeguard your health, and blood sugar testing is an important way to monitor whether you are diabetic. If your primary care doctor diagnoses diabetes, you should:
- Test your blood sugar regularly and record your readings to show your doctor
- Take your medication, including metformin or insulin as directed
- Avoid beverages and foods which are high in sugar, including sodas and juices
- Drink lots of water to stay hydrated
- Carry healthy snacks with you to prevent episodes of low blood sugar
- Eat lots of proteins and complex carbohydrates
- Maintain a healthy weight
- Exercise regularly at least 30 minutes on most days of the week
When you take your diabetes medications as directed and follow a healthy diet and exercise regimen, it will go a long way toward effective diabetes management. Your primary care doctor can help by providing the care and expertise you need. You can live a full, healthy, active life when you have diabetes.
To find out more about the importance of managing diabetes and how diabetes management can help you, talk with an expert. Call your primary care doctor today.