Let’s face it, at one time or another most all of us have experienced tired eyes. Whether it is long days at school or work or performing other activities without a break can cause our eyes to become heavy. Below are some helpful tips to help keep your eyes open.
- 20/20/20 Rule – Digital eye strain can cause your focus to decline. If you find yourself gazing at screens all day, follow the 20/20/20 rule. Basically, every 20 minutes spent using a screen, you should try to look away at something that is 20 feet away from you for a total of 20 seconds.
- Eye Drops – If your eyes are dry or irritated by allergies, dry air, wind, or wearing contact lens, try using artificial tears to lubricate the eyes. No need for additives or antihistamines for allergies or red eyes…just basic eye lubrication.
- Take a Break – Resting your eyes for 15 to 20 minutes with the lights turned off and blinds closed can allow your eyes and mind to be less irritated and heavy.
- Cold Compress – It’s amazing how placing a cold (or warm) cloth over your eyes can help alleviate puffy, swollen, irritated or tired eyes. Feel free to alternate to determine which one is best for you.
- Aromatherapy – Unless you are sensitive to odors, it’s known that certain scents have the ability to perk us up. All citrus scents (lemon, orange and grapefruit) boost alertness, increase energy and can help you wake up and focus. If you don’t have fresh fruit on hand, try using essential oils. They are a key ingredient used in aromatherapy, contain concentrated extracts from leaves, seeds, roots or blossoms with various therapeutic purposes. Try a combination of peppermint and rosemary or cinnamon and ginger.
- Massage - Some people find that a gentle scalp or facial massage could increase the blood flow around that area and release tension. Apply light pressure using your fingers and massage around the scalp, temples and around the eyes.
- Cucumber – You don’t have to make an appointment at the spa to reduce inflammation and improve the appearance of tired eyes, just slice up a cucumber and place them over your eyes for at least 15 minutes.
While having tired eyes does not cause permanent eye damage, it can be very cumbersome while working or performing activities that require focus. Try one or all of the simple tips to increase your eye comfort. It’s important to schedule regular eye exams as having an incorrect prescription for glasses or contacts could also cause eyestrain or discomfort.