Those that love sports but feel bogged down with glasses are opting for LASIK vision correction surgery. Contact lenses are often not suitable for active lifestyles either, due to becoming dislodged in the eye or causing irritation. People that wear glasses know just how difficult it is to swim with impaired vision; swimming with contact lenses can increase risk of eye infection.
People who are unhappy with their vision using glasses or contacts may choose to have laser eye surgery, which can sometimes allow them to achieve even better eyesight. This is because laser eye surgery reshapes the surface of the eye to correct its curvature. Here are top five reasons why people choose LASIK:
1. COMFORT - Can you play sports, jog, hike, perform yard work, or do other activities while wearing glasses or contacts? Additionally, some sports require safety glasses, which can cause fitting issues for those already wearing glasses.
2. TIME - Do you realize how much time you spend cleaning and caring for your contacts? Laser surgery is especially beneficial for those that are constantly on the go or find themselves running late to work, class, or gym.
3. CONVENIENCE - Have you ever found yourself away from home without your contact supplies? What about losing or accidentally tearing a contact lens?
4. COST – Have you calculated how much you spend on supplies for contacts? It can be more cost effective to have laser eye surgery vs. ongoing expense of replacing and maintaining glasses and/or contact lenses, especially for a young person.
5. WEATHER – Anyone who lives around humidity, rain or snow may experience fogged glasses and cold temps can often affect contact lens.
Olympic athlete, Bode Miller finished eighth in the alpine skiing race that he had hoped would signal his return. Miller reported that he regretted not getting laser vision correction before the Olympics. "Bode Miller admits mistakes, he revealed that, in hindsight, he would have changed to a less edgy pair of skis for the race, would perhaps have tried to ski a little less aggressively and would have undergone LASIK eye surgery before the Games as he had originally planned." (USA Today)
Glasses and contact sports don’t mix, and people who stay active by going to the gym, running or doing yoga also find wearing glasses a burden. Eliminate the hassle of contacts and the lifetime costs of wearing contacts and schedule a free LASIK consultation at Shofner Vision Center online or call (615) 340-4733.